Taipei, Taiwan—April 8, 2021—Synology today launched its new 3U 16-bay RackStation RS2821RP+, built to excel in large-scale infrastructure backup, business-level file serving, and private cloud services.
“The RS2821RP+ is a high-performance storage solution aimed at SMB customers,” said Julien Chen, Product Manager at Synology Inc.
“Abundant storage capacity, upgraded performance, and redundant power make it a dependable file server,” Chen said. “It also supports essential remote work applications, such as Synology Office, Synology Drive, and Synology Chat — our file sharing and productivity solutions that keep workers connected and company data accessible.
More than twice as fast
The new RackStation unit boasts a significant leap in performance over its predecessor,1 delivering 115% higher random write IOPS, 162% higher read IOPS.2 It also offers 26% higher sequential read performance at 2200 MB/s and 65% higher sequential write throughput at 1164 MB/s.
Customizable to your business needs
The RS2821RP+ can be upgraded to meet specific business requirements. The PCIe port can be used to install a dual-port Synology 10GbE or 25GbE NIC3 to improve network throughput or a Synology M.2 adapter card with SNV3000 Series NVMe SSDs to create an SSD cache,4 a cost-effective method to boost random read/write IOPS of hard drive arrays without occupying standard drive bays.
Memory can be expanded to 32 GB of DDR4 ECC memory,5 and 12 extra drive bays6 can be added with the RX1217(RP) expansion unit bringing the total to 28. The RS2821RP+ is covered by Synology’s 3-year limited warranty,7 extendable to 5 years in select regions.
Over 150 apps to extend functionality beyond a storage server
The DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system runs on all Synology NAS devices, connecting them to a feature-rich ecosystem of powerful solutions..
Hyper Backup lets users back up NAS data to cloud and other destinations, while the Active Backup Suite provides robust backup of Windows clients, servers, file servers, and virtual machines. Synology Drive, Chat, and Office enable fluid collaboration between remote workers by providing browser-accessible office applications, file sharing, and chat functionality.
Surveillance Station transforms RackStations and other models into all-in-one surveillance solutions supporting up to 40 cameras.8 Certified integration with VMware, Windows, and other virtualization platforms ensures painless management of VM storage.
The RS2821RP+ is available today from Synology resellers in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia-Pacific countries.
- Comparisons conducted against the prior-generation RS2818RP+.
- Performance figures are achieved in Synology labs with optimized network and configuration settings. Actual performance may vary in different environments. For full details on the test setup, please visit the Synologyperformance page.
- Compatible NICs include the E25G21-F2, E10G21-F2, E10G18-T2, E10G18-T1. For the latest compatible devices, check the compatibility list.
- NVMe SSD cache can be enabled via the Synology M2D20 or E10M20-T1 SSD cache adapter cards with SNV3400/3500 NVMe SSDs installed.
- Maximum memory upgrades allow for a greater number of simultaneous connections, more hosted virtual machines with Virtual Machine Manager, larger volume sizes, and other enhancements. Please check the datasheet of the device for more details.
- Supports LFF (3.5″) or SFF (2.5″) SATA drives. Drive compatibility is dependent on Synology’s compatibility list. The capacity of all three units can be expanded using a single Synology RX1217(RP) expansion unit, purchased separately.
- The warranty period starts from the purchase date as stated on your receipt of purchase. Learn more about our limited product warranty policy. RS2821RP+ includes a 3-year limited hardware warranty, which can be extended to 5 years with the optional EW202 bundle, a 2-year Extended Warranty service add-on.
- Surveillance Station includes two free camera licenses. Connecting more cameras or devices requires additional licenses.
Synology at a glance
Staying at the forefront of data management, Synology innovates and adapts to ever-evolving technologies, and continues bringing new possibilities to the table, including but not limited to solutions for data storage and backup, file collaboration, video management, and network infrastructure – all designed with one goal in mind – presenting a centralized platform to simplify IT administration while driving digital transformation for businesses worldwide.