Haswell processors has only been launched for a few weeks and we are already seeing many people building their new Desktop PCs based on the new architecture. Even though CPU performance isn’t too much of a improvement from previous generation Ivy Bridge processor, we are seeing much better integrated graphics performance, putting the Haswell processors to compete directly with AMD’s APU technology. Those who are looking for a simple budget build and also thinking of future upgrades should be wrecking their brains when it comes to choosing a new LGA 1150 motherboard. Today, we take a look at the ASUS B85M-G and let you decide if it’s your cup of tea.
Within the box are some very simple accessories which are as expected of a budget oriented market segment motherboard. There’s a IO Shield, SATA Cables, Driver CD, Case badge, Warranty Info booklet and a User Guide.
Other than Graphics Interfaces, there are also 4 USB 2.0 ports, 2 USB 3.0 ports, a Gigabit LAN port, 5.1 Audio and PS2 ports for older keyboard and mouse.
As for storage interfaces, there are 4 SATA 6Gbps ports and 2 SATA 3Gbps and a front panel USB 3.0 port for external case USB 3.0 expansion.
- ASUS 5X PROTECTION: All-round protection provides the best quality, reliability, and durability
- USB 3.0 BOOST (UASP Support): 170% faster transfer speeds than traditional USB 3.0
- Network iControl: Real-time network bandwidth management
- Fan Xpert : Dedicated CPU and case fan controls
- CrashFree BIOS 3: Restore corrupted BIOS data from USB storage
- AI Suite 3: One-stop access to innovative ASUS features
- LGA: 1150 socket support 4th Generation Intel Core i7/i5/i3/Pentium and Celeron Processors
- Chipsets: Intel B85 Express
- Memory: 32GB Max DDR3 supporting 1600/1333/1066 non-ECC memory
- Expansion slots: PCI-Express 3.0 16x and 2x PCI-Express 2.0 x1
- Video output: HDMI/DVI-D and D-Sub port
- Storage: 2x SATA 3Gb/s and 4x SATA 6Gb/s
- LAN: Gigabit LAN
|Digi+ VRM controller|
Asmedia ASM1442K chip outputs high speed TMDS level shift solution for High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) and Digital Video Interface (DVI) outputs on the motherboard.
|Realtek RTL8111G Integrated Gigabit Ethernet Controller|
|BIOS chip: Winbond 25064FVA1Q-UEFI ROM 64MB |
LED Standby Light
|LPC_Debug connector for plug-in Debug card for diagnostic|
We found that the whole B85 solution for Haswell platform to be appropriate if you are looking for a new budget friendly build. This motherboard only costs 138 SGD and is probably the cheapest ASUS LGA 1150 motherboard found in local shops. The ASUS B85M-G motherboard brings good value to system builders as it has got considerably good reliability features put in place. Moreover, it is covered by warranty provided by local distributor Avertek for 3 years.
ASUS B85M-G could make a good motherboard for anyone building a new office computer and is a good option for systems that need only basic functionality.Thanks to the features provided with the new B85 chipset, we are already getting native SATA 6Gbps ports, ensuring that SSD adoption is also a viable option. With 138 SGD, this is probably the best no-frills Micro-ATX motherboard you can get from ASUS.
Pictures, benchmarks and component overview by mysterious poor_poor