gamescom asia Virtual Media Day
As gamescom asia 2021 is right around the corner, TheTechRevolutionist was honored to be invited to its Virtual Media Day on 12 October 2021. We were able to get sneak peeks of games and be (virtually) close to the action before the actual event kicks off. Developers provided exclusive game introductions and share first-look of upcoming game titles.
Key Speakers included:
- Mathias Kuepper from Koelnmesse
- Gwen Guo from Singapore Games Association (SGGA)
- Gary Ma from Epik
- Timothy Bender from Hooded Horse
- Justin Scarpone from Scopely and more
Some Key Takeaways
- Justin Scarpone from Scopely talked about Scopely’s business focus being around the M&As of the gaming industry. They have acquired several studios across gaming genres such as Disney’s Marvel Strikeforce (APRG), Star trek Sleek Command (SLG). Such acquisitions have allowed Scopely to accelerate their growth, and made improvements to their games, social and personalisation of the game. Diversity in genres and IP have allowed the company to remain competitive across both traditional and digital games. Despite the pandemic, Scopely has managed to open up four companies, including Singapore, Tokyo and Shanghai (innovative studio), to leverage Asia’s strong talent base and to invest in Asia’s and its studios.
- Timothy Bender from Hooded Horse introduced Old World, designed by the lead designer of Civilisation III and IV, Soren Johnson, to be launched in Spring 2022 on Steam and GOG. Old World is a hybrid of role-playing game (RPG) and strategy gaming which is a new territory being explored in the past decade and is to be further developed by indie game developers. Hooded Horse is also publishing three other strategy games that aims to provide gamers an immersive experience “of the world, the way they have not seen before”.
- Matthew Quek from The Iterative Collective shared that they are building a video game ecosystem that empowers game developers by providing them with support needed through Iterative Labs and Iterative Digital. As a hybrid between an incubator and publisher, The Iterative Collective liberally chooses the type of gaming startups that they choose to work with. The team supports game developers from ground zero all to the way to release.
- Gary Ma from Epik reveals that there has been a large-scale adoption of blockchain in gaming in the past year. gamescom asia 2021 will be giving away first edition NFTs in collaboration with EPIK to commemorate the launch of the Asian event.
About gamescom asia 2021
The first Asian satellite event of the world’s largest computer and video games festival, gamescom, is set to launch its hybrid event from 14 to 17 October 2021 in Singapore. A prelude to the full-scale convention that is set to take place in 2022, fans and industry players will get to enjoy a whole host of exciting events featuring the latest products and games from
developers and publishers.
Participants will be able to meet and network with visionaries from the Southeast Asian gaming industry. With a focus on game publishing, development and the future growth of the video games sector in Asia and beyond, the Trade Conference will feature prominent international speakers from Axie Infinity creators Sky Mavis, That’s No Moon, Cygames, Square Enix, miHoYo, Zynga and more.
Prominent brands such as AMD, Ubisoft Singapore, Niko Partners, Singapore Games
Association, and Epik will also be taking part in the convention through a variety of
programs, events and booths aimed to showcase the latest in gaming technology
Powered by AMD, the virtual consumer segment will kickstart with gamescom asia PRIMETIME, on 15 October 2021, premiering new games and trailers from the region and around the world, while giving fans a sneak preview of what’s to come with the all-digital programs under gamescom asia STUDIO that will take place from 16-17 October 2021. Streams and the gamescom asia VAULT on-demand will be broadcasted via the event’s Entertainment Zone platform as well as YouTube and TikTok, who are this year’s main Platform Partners.
The highly-anticipated trade event and gaming conference will be held at the Suntec Convention Centre in Singapore. Expect four days of exhilarating highlights with the industry conference from 14 – 15 October 2021, the virtual Trade Zone open to trade from 14 – 15 October 2021 and the spectacular fully digital Entertainment Zone from 15 – 17 October 2021.