With international shopping day around the corner on November 11th, we’re sure that everyone will be looking for the best deals. However, let’s keep it that way, and not let cyber-criminals get the best deals when it comes to obtaining your personal information!
On behalf of Sophos, we’re happy to share some tips to keep you safe as you shop till you virtually drop online!
TIPS FOR SAFE ONLINE SHOPPING
- If it sounds too good to be true, it IS too good to be true. There is no such thing as a free iPhone!
- Never fill in purchase details on a website that doesn’t use a secure (encrypted) connection. Don’t be fooled by padlock images in the webpage itself: look for the padlock in your browser’s address bar.
- Don’t click on links in unsolicited emails. Those links could land you on a phishing website or a website that will infect you with malware via what’s known as a drive-by download. Always type in the website address but be careful of mistyped addresses where cybercrooks may be squatting. Bookmark the sites you typically visit for shopping, banking, etc.
- Watch out for sites that ask for way too much information, such as your card PIN – which is not used online – Social Security number or national ID number. And never share your passwords. IF IN DOUBT, GIVE NOTHING OUT!
- Scrutinize your bank statements. Check your bank account transactions regularly for signs of fraud, particularly after making purchases online. If you discover payments that you can’t identify, notify your bank immediately.
Remember Cybersecurity is for life, not just for online sales or on special occasions.
We say this at every special holiday, major sporting event, and more. 11.11 sale is just the start of the holiday season, as Christmas planning gets into full swing. It would be a bad day to be incautious about security, but the advice we’ve given here won’t lose its value when the holiday shopping frenzy is over. If you decide to use 11.11 as a reason to take cybersecurity more seriously…
…we urge you to make that a lasting digital lifestyle choice!